Experience the prisoners' way of life in Falu Prison with our guided tour and a museum visit

The prison was built between 1842 and 1848 and was commissioned in 1849 and was initially a cell prison. Cell imprisonment meant that the prisoners were all completely isolated from each other. The prisoners spent 23 hours in the cell and one hour in the prison yard, but there they were also held in complete isolation. The prison was rebuilt into a city prison In 1911, which resulted in the insulation no longer being kept as strict as before.
 
In order to spread knowledge about Falu Prison and the history of the Swedish Prison Service, we offer guided tours. We follow the prisoners' path from the time they were captured until they were given their punishment in the courtroom. Furthermore, we show how the prisoners lived in detention in cells and how their daily lives were lived.
11DSC-0008Museum-022Plit-fran-1900stupstockcopy2012-12-12-14-55-222012-12-12-15-00-09fangvaktar-svardMuseum-bojorMuseum-kall-mork-straffcellMuseum-man-vid-skampale1Rep-som-anvandes-vid-rymnings-forsok

The museum is located in the cellar vault of the prison, here you will also find the cold, dark punishment cell. The museum was created by a former prison guard, Jan Forsberg, who collected over 600 old objects related to Falu Prison. Jan's interest in Swedish prison care is reflected in the museum with objects from different eras. The collection of articles includes; various forms of hand, neck and footwear chains and other equipment for performing various types of punishment that are contemporary to their era. The prison guards' equipment includes everything from swords to the type of batons that prison guards were equipped with in 1995; The prisoners' artistry is shown with various drawings that the prisoners have made. Old objects used in prison; products made by prisoners in prison arrangements etc.
 
We have saved one cell as a museum cell that shows how the cells were decorated in 1850, and one cell that shows how it looked in 1995 when the prison was closed.
 
We have also recreated the old isolation cell that was in the cellar of the prison. It is a dark cell without heat, with the daylight falling in through a screen door from a small window, as the only light source. The cell contains only one bed made of wood with latrine at one end and wooden head pillow at the other end. The cell was latest used in 1942.

Important years.

Year 1842 - 1848; The Prison was built
Year 1855; The punishment to be beaten                      was abolished
Year 1877; Prohibition of alcohol
Year 1880; Hammocks were changed                            into beds
Year 1893; Central heating was installed  
Year 1910; The District Court was moved
Year 1911; Conversion to city prison
Year 1912; The prisoners had to read the                       newspaper
Year 1922; Typewriter was purchased
Year 1931; Electricity was added
Year 1933; Larger windows were installed
Year 1937; Temporary permission to leave
                    was introduced
Year 1960; Women's department ceased
Year 1974; New criminal care reform
Year 1995; Prison was closed (147 years)
Year 2000; The prison became a hostel
Year 2005; The prison museum was                                opened
Year 2014; All rooms were renovated
Year 2019; Prison's Bed & Breakfast                                started